Blueberry Pie Cookies
Stuffed full of my mother’s homemade blueberry Pie filling, fresh Blueberry Pie cookie is like eating a little adorable mini blueberry pie. There is only a necessary fork!
Based on my Apple Pie cookies I share a few years ago and my mother’s stuffed full of fresh homemade blueberry Pie filling, blueberry cookie version is just like eating small mini blueberry pie.
For the Filling :
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 T. butter
- 1 pint (about 1 1/2 c.) fresh blueberries
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
For Assembly :
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp. water
- Pie crust for a two-crust pie, store-bought or use your favorite homemade recipe
- sanding sugar or granulated sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- For the filling: melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the blueberries, water, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring gently to a boil over medium heat to medium-high. Lower the heat and simmer for about 1 minute until thickened (mixture will be thick enough). Set aside to cool slightly.
- FOR Assembly: Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface until about 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick. Use 2 1/2-3-inch round cake or a biscuit cutter to cut rounds of dough as much as possible (you will need two rounds for each cookie).
- Transfer half round to the baking sheet and brush the edges with a little water (this helps close the round).
- 1/2 and place about 1 teaspoon of filling in Center of each round blueberry measure (not excessive filling). Top each with one round left. Press the edges to seal each cookie cake, and then use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Prepare egg wash by lightly beat together the eggs and 1/4 teaspoons of water.
- Brush each pastry pie with egg wash, make sure to get some egg wash over the entire surface of the cookie. (Since this mini pies will not be in the oven for a full size cakes, they did not develop a good crust Browning without washing the eggs. Egg wash gives them a nice golden brown color.)
- Sprinkle the tops with a dash of sanding sugar or granulated sugar, if using. Use a small knife to cut slits in the top of each cookie cake.
- BURN to: Bake at 350 ℉, for about 15 to 20 minutes, until crust golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Make about cookies 12-15.
- This is delicious warm or cool, and freeze very well.