Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars #christmas #cookies
I love to bake during the holidays. Who else is with me? My Favorites are baked to make is, of course, candy. From cakes, cookies, candy and bread, I love cake throughout the entire month of December, mainly because all the candies are delicious out of the oven. Don’t get me wrong, I love the savory flavor as well, but that is my sweet tooth who took control around Christmas.
The only down fall to become a Baker during the holiday season is … well … can you guess? Walking to the store three times a day. I sometimes make a few trips to and from our local Walmart get additional flour, eggs or milk. So I love it when I found out that this year, I usually use over season all baking items are now bigger in size, such as baking soda and flour.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- Green food coloring
- Red food coloring
- 2 tsp clear almond extract or clear vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup butter room temp
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or clear vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the almond extract.
- Then with the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Evenly divide the batter into two small mixing bowl.
- In a bowl add 6 drops of green food coloring, stir to mix in the coloring. Continue to stir in more green food coloring until you get the color you want.
- In another bowl add 6 drops of Red food coloring, stir to mix in the coloring. Continue to stir in more red food coloring until you get the color you want.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, I added the first green but you can do one. Then add remaining batter on top and spread, this is red for me.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Test on 20 minutes with a toothpick to check the baking process, then check the hours 25 minutes. Tester should come out clean when the Bar is finished baking. Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, cream together the confectioners ‘ sugar and butter until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk and almond or vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Spread on cookie bars. Top with sprinkles. Cut, serve and swallow. Happy Holidays!