Fried Goat Cheese With Tarragon + Honey
Goat cheese seasoned with honey and tarragon, rolled into balls, fried perfectly crispy, then drizzled with more honey and a pinch of red pepper.
In one of many events, we cater for a group of 250 with four feeding stations and a large bar. Sounds like my kinda party. One station screen charcuterie and cheese goat cheese one. We all know how exciting the log plain ol’ white goat cheese can be viewed, so our chefs roll it in a mixture of herbs especially be the tarragon. One of his many combinations that I love.
The opening theme is simple, but it requires a bit of preparation. The good thing is you can bang it all out the day before or the morning. Starting with beautifying goat cheese, then rolled around in flour-egg-panko breadcrumb, then fried. We all do this exercise once or twice.
- pinch black pepper
- 1 egg, plus splash of water
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 oz. log goat cheese, room temperature (I used 3 4oz. logs)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup ap flour
- salt and pepper as needed
- canola oil for frying
- Optional garnishes: red pepper flakes, chives, crushed pistachios
- Combine goat cheese, tarragon, honey, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Roll to the 12-14 ball (about an ounce each). You can make them as big or small as you want, especially if you want to make more. Set aside until needed.
- Beat the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Add bread crumbs to a plate and season with teaspoon 1/2 salt and pepper 1/4 teaspoons. Add flour to a separate plate and season again with salt and pepper. Create an immersion station with flour first, second egg, then bread crumbs.
- Roll balls of goat cheese in flour, dip in egg, then roll in bread crumbs. Get rid of any excess bread crumbs. Located on top of a plate and continue until finished.
- If frying immediately, set in the freezer for 20 minutes. If frying the next day or in the evening, set in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to fry, add enough canola oil to cover surface of the oven by Netherlands 3 “. Heat to 350 degrees. The fried balls of goat cheese 4-5 at a time until golden and crisp.
- To garnish, Drizzle with honey and a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional).