Gingerbread Trifle #christmas
This recipe was a bit Ginger is the real showstopper for Christmas.
For the gingerbread men:
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- writing icing, to decorate
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 65g unsalted butter
For the gingerbread swiss roll:
- 25g treacle
- 50g butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 100g plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 75g golden syrup
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
For the buttercream:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 1 ball stem ginger, chopped, plus ½ tsp syrup from the jar
To assemble :
- 2 tbsp syrup from the stem ginger jar
- 3 sheets gelatine
- 600ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 x 500g pots Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Madagascan vanilla custard
- 4 tbsp Irish cream liqueur (optional)
- First make gingerbread men. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C, fan 180 ° C, gas 6. In a small saucepan, melt together the sugar, butter and syrup. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and Ginger into a bowl and stir in the liquid ingredients to make a soft dough.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of paper bread to about 5 mm thick. Transfer to a baking sheet on top of the baking paper, leaving on the top sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. While getting the dough, bakes gingerbread men cutter you are ready. When the dough comes out of the oven, immediately cut a lot of gingerbread men as much as you can. As the cold dough, it will get harder, but it will still be possible. Keep some of the off-cuts to be used to decorate the trifle. After the gingerbread men are really cool garnish with writing icing.
- Make a swiss roll. Changing the oven to 190 ° C 170 ° C fan, gas 5. Grease and line a swiss roll Tin 20 cm x 30 cm with baking paper, then grease the baking paper. Place the golden syrup, molasses and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until melted together. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in eggs and sugar in a large bowl and whisk use the whisk electric hand until fluffy, doubled in size and lighter in color and when you remove the whisk they leave a trail of Ribbon on top of the mixture for a few seconds. This will take about 10 minutes. Sift the flour, baking powder and ginger, then pour the mixture melted butter around the sides of the Bowl so that it drips into the eggs were taken. Gently fold together, then pour into the prepared Tin. Bake for 12-14 minutes until springy.
- While cooking the sponge, lay a piece of paper bread out on a work surface and sprinkle with caster sugar. When the sponge is baked, remove from oven and immediately turned to paper sprinkled with sugar. Then, using a small serrated knife, Score the surface of the sponge, about 1.5 cm from the edge along one long side. Use paper underneath, the roll out of this side. Leave it wrapped in paper on a wire rack until completely cool.
- For buttercream, in a small bowl of food processor whiz the ginger stem with syrup, then add the butter and blend to combine, and eventually the bully in the icing sugar. Once the sponge is cool, unroll and spread the buttercream on top before rolling back again. Slice into about 20 pieces and arrange around the bottom of the plate a bit. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup from stem ginger jar.
- Stir in the gelatin in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soften for 5 minutes. Meanwhile heat the custard until just hot. After the gelatin is softened, stir into the custard, then let it cool, covering the surface with clingfilm to stop a skin forming. After the custard cool, but not set, pour into the plates a bit over swiss rolls and permission to be in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Once the custard has set and just before serving whip cream icing sugar with cream liqueur, if using, until it just holds soft peaks. Spoon over the custard and garnished with crushed ginger offcuts and gingerbread men.