Homemade Peppermint Patties #christmas #cookies
Cute, delicious and perfect for the holidays, homemade peppermint patties is so easy to make (video tutorial included in the post!).
The Peppermint dough to fill is very easy to work with and if you have a spare fork and butter knife, dip is very easy, too.
I keep it refrigerated, as recipes, and even though it makes a bazillion, after gifting some nether part of our environment, we had no trouble devouring the rest.
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 7 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 pounds bittersweet or semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin or refined coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon food-grade peppermint essential oil or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (see note)
- Crushed peppermint candies for sprinkling, optional
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, milk, corn syrup, coconut and peppermint oil on low speed until combined. Form the dough into two circles round, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle liberal amounts of powdered sugar a clean countertop or a piece of parchment paper. Open one disk of dough and place it on a counter or parchment. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar, too. Roll the dough patty of peppermint for about 1/4 inch thick and cut into rounds with a 1 7/8-inch and similar-sized cutters.
- Reroll scraps until all the dough is used. Repeat with second dough disk. Place a round of parchment lined baking sheet over and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes or overnight.
- Melt the chocolate (I use the microwave on 50% power and cook for 1 minute, stirring in between; I melt till it mostly melted but there are still some small lumps of chocolate-I stir until melted completely. This will help to avoid the bloom on the chocolate sets.)
- Using a fork, dip a frozen patty round one by one into chocolate. Tap the handle of the fork on the side of the bowl to the Drizzle off excess chocolate, scrape the bottom of the fork on the edge of the bowl and gently place the bread dipped in a parchment-lined baking sheet using a butter knife to gently slide the patty off the fork if n eeded.
- Sprinkle the bread dipped with the crushed candies, if using. Let the chocolate sets, about an hour. Store bread in the refrigerator.