Italian Christmas Cookies #christmas #cookies
Italy Christmas cookies are a soft ball shaped cookies glazed with almond flavored glaze and sprinkled with colored sprinkles. Festive cookie anyone will love to find in their cake tray!
To make the Christmas cake of Italy you will need: flour, Confectioners sugar, Shortening, eggs, almonds, vanilla, and Lemon extract, cream and light-colored sprinkles!
My cousin called me the other day and asked if I could make him cookies for a cookie exchange that he has this week. I guess since I’ve been blogging and baking so much, I became “went to people’s” to treat parties!
For the Cookies:
- 6 large eggs
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1/2 tbsp lemon extract
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2-1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
For the Glaze:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- colored sprinkles
- 4-1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/2 cup warm light cream
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Use a heavy duty mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 5 cups confectioners ‘ sugar, flour and baking powder. Stir with stir until blended.
- On low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extract until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs. The dough should be stiff. If not stiff enough to roll into balls of cookie, gradually add flour is getting. (This is where the extra Cup of flour). Start with the 1/2 cup. If still not stiff enough, gradually add the remaining half cup. Currently your dough should be stiff enough to form into balls of cookie.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes. Tops of cookies will not Brown, but Brown had to butt a little.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine candied sugar’s, milk and extract until smooth. As soon as the cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip two or three times into the glaze.
- Place on wire rack to drain and immediately top with sprinkles. Let dry 24 hours before storing them in an airtight container.