Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Easy lemon bars have sweet sugar cookie crust topped with Tangy lemon cheesecake filling and then topped with more sugar cookie crumbles. The perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
Lemon bar this is everything I could have dreamed of and then some on my birthday. I don’t need a gift. I need a sugar sweet pie crust, topped with silky smooth lemon cheesecake filling, and then more soft sugar cookie crumbles on top.
This really is one of the most satisfying desserts I have ever had the pleasure to sink teeth into.
Sugar cookie crust :
- 1 Cup butter at room temperature
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
Lemon cheesecake :
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest divided
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 8 Ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
For The Bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch square baking dish with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray freely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Change the mixer to low and slowly add the flour (1/2 cup at a time) and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press half of dough into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool completely before filling.
- Store leftover cake batter of sugar in a bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
For the filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer to medium mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and 1 tbsp. lemon zest until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling over the cooled crust.
- Top the filling with the remaining sugar cookie dough by just crumble it evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the cookie crumbles light gold in color.
- Top with the remaining lemon zest as desired.