There is a soft sugar cookie recipes floating around the web and all of them are very similar, but here is where I did not follow the usual rules. It is always the frosting on the cake Lofthouse colored bright colors, and not the cookie itself. When I mixed the dough cakes were beautiful Pale-almost white! I know it will keep good color so I divided the dough in two parts and their red and green colored.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Red gel food color
- Green gel food color
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Christmas-themed confetti sprinkles
- To make cookies: cream the sugar and butter together until smooth. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl, Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Divide the dough in half. Back half of the dough to the bowl and add red food color; mix well. It turns out the Red dough onto a sheet of Waxed paper and wrap. Wash the bowl and return the remaining dough into a bowl. Add green food color and mix well. Transfer the dough onto a piece of Waxed paper and wrap. Chill the second part of dough to spring company, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° f. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator. Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough into pieces and roll between palms of your hands. Lightly dust the dough and your hands with flour if sticky. Place the ball of dough on the cookie sheet 2inches apart. Gently Flatten the dough balls with Palm of your hand. If there are streaks of flour in cookies, soft dust it with a soft pastry brush.
- Bake the cake for 10-12 minutes, or until they are puffed and fragrant. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting: cream butter with electric mixer; beat in powdered sugar 1/2 cups at a time. Hit in vanilla. If the frosting is stiff, beat in milk or cream 1 tablespoon at a time until a smooth consistency is reached, gentle.
- Using an offset spatula to spread the frosting onto cookies (I used a disposable bag pipes with end cut to get the layers evenly round the icing, then use a spatula to smooth out and offset). Cover icing with sprinkles confetti as soon as icing.