Praline Cream-Beignet Tower #christmas #cookies
Make praline filling and dough for two days ahead. If your beignets did not cover the entire Cone, trim excess. You still have a nice tree form.
PRALINE CREAM FILLING
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon pecan liqueur
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100° to 110°), divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 6 1/2 to 7 cups bread flour Vegetable cooking spray
- Vegetable oil 120 heavy-duty 2-inch wooden picks
- 1 (177/8- x 415/16-inch) plastic foam cone
- Powdered sugar.
- Prepare filling: combine first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan; whisk together the half-and-half and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in half-and-half mixture into sugar mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 7 minutes or until the mixture just begins to bubble. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute more; Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and Pecan liqueur. Beat until the butter melts. Spoon the mixture into a medium bowl, and place plastic wrap directly onto filling (to prevent the film from forming). Cool 30 minutes. Chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Beignet dough: combine yeast, 1/2 cups of warm water (100 ° to 110 °) and 1 tsp. granulated sugar in the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; Let stand for 5 minutes. Add evaporated milk, eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar the yeast mixture, beat on medium speed until combined.
- Microwave remaining 1 cup warm water in a 2-cup measuring cup until hot (about 115 °); Stir in butter until melted. Add the yeast mixture. Beat on low speed, gradually add the 4 cups of flour, until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour to 2 1/2 3 Cup, beating to form a sticky dough. Transfer to a lightly oiled Bowl (with cooking spray); Brush top of dough with cooking spray. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Turn the dough onto a heavily floured surface; Roll half of dough into 1/4-inch thickness. (Refrigerate remaining dough until ready to use.) Cut into cubes 2-inch with a sharp knife or pizza wheel. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches into the Netherlands a large oven; heat to 360 °. Fried dough, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack.
- Insert a small metal tip (we used #17) into a large pastry bag. Use a long wooden skewer, poke holes in the sides of the beignets, respectively. Fill the pastry bag with half of cold Cream Praline filling. Pipe a small amount to the beignets, respectively. Repeat with remaining filling and beignets.
- To assemble: starting at the bottom, enter 1 to select cone. Press 1 to select the beignet. Repeat with the remaining picks and beignets, pervades the whole cone. Dust covered the entire cone weight Beignets with powdered sugar.