This sweet little book is chock full of more than 50 red velvet recipes ranging from breakfast to cakes, pastries and cakes and everything in between. I can’t wait to try the Red Velvet pull apart bread rolls and cocoa! And cake. Rockslide brownies and marshmallows. And all of that.
This red velvet thumbprint is cake and cheesecake in one! Perfect for Christmas cookie plate and dangerous.
FOR THE COOKIES :
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk*
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp red food coloring
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or sanding sugar*
FOR THE FILLING :
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk*
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees f. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Stir together butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, food coloring, and cocoa powder until soft dough forms.
- Scoop out dough by heaping tablespoons and roll them in sugar before placing on baking sheet * prepared (about 2 inches apart). Using the back of a rounded teaspoon to make a small indentation in the cookie dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: using electric mixer or small food processor, blend cream cheese, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- After the first 10 minutes of baking, use the back of a rounded teaspoon to deepen the indents in the cookies. Spoon a teaspoon of filling into each indentation. Bake for an additional 45 minutes, until filling is set.
- Allow to cool completely before serving. Keep covered and chilled.