A special time of the year calls for a special cake! Peppermint snowflake cake this ombré is my attempt at a winter wonderland showstopper!
Candy melting snow cover this kiss of peppermint candy cane cake and surprise is in store for each section. Get the buttercream filling two-tone super-easy. fill the bag with a white bag with a red color, flatten slightly and slide both into the third bag. Make sure you don’t overfill the bag!
- For the Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- blue food coloring
- red food coloring
- 3 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb confectioner’s sugar
For the Cake:
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Snowflakes:
- ⅔ cup candy melt
- parchment paper
For the Italian Buttercream:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream tartar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- 16 oz unsalted butter cut into 1-inch pieces
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees f.
- Butter paper and three 6-inch cake pan. I am using the pieces of cake in the Pan I am for more even baking.
- Sift and mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until combined
- Mixed divide evenly into the cake pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the center of the springy to touch.
- Allow to cool completely.
For The Buttercream:
- Whip the butter for about 5 minutes using the paddle attachment (stand-up mixer).
- Beat in the sugar candied’s slowly
- Add the cream and vanilla. Beat until you have a consistency, even fluffy.
- The transfer of the collection bag white pipe. Add red food coloring to another batch and transfer to the bag pipes. Snip off the tips are good and adds a larger pipe bags. Spiral pipe between each layer.
- Pipes and smooth coat with excess crumbs.
For The Buttercream: Italy
- Beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar, slowly add 1/3 cup sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form. In a medium saucepan add the remaining sugar and 1/3 cups of water then put on medium-low. Stir until sugar melts and becomes clear. Keep on medium-high heat until the temperature reading 235-240F.
- A drizzle of sugar into the mixer immediately. Run the mixer until the meringue is cold and warm. Add the butter room temperature into a running mixer one tablespoon a piece at a time.
- Add salt and vanilla, if using. Beat the butter until combined and the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Create gradients by adding different amounts of blue food coloring to batch the remaining buttercream. Transfer any color bag pipes themselves. Pipe ombre colours and smooth with an offset spatula.
For a snowflake:
- Melt candy melts in the microwave.
- Transfer to a piping bag and snip off the ends.
- Pipe snowflakes onto a piece of parchment paper. This can be done freehand or more stencil snowflake.
For the Assembly:
- Red and white buttercream piping between each cake layer.
- Pipe buttercream white, then blue, darkest light starting from the bottom.
- Smooth with spatula offset.
- Add the snowflakes.