Watermelon Cupcakes! Bright green Cupcakes with buttercream that tasted like watermelon! Add mini chocolate chip for watermelon seeds!
You can take any flavor of kool aid powders and add it to buttercream and voila – the buttercream tastes like watermelon, mango, kiwi-orange pink lemonade! The flavor seems to be endless!
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- leaf green food coloring by wilton (or similar light green food coloring)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp of powdered watermelon koolaid mix
- 2 sticks of butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (can substitute butter)
- small about of red food coloring, to give the buttercream a pinkish color
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees f. place cupcakes liners into muffin pan.
- In a bowl, combine the butter and sugar using electric mixer, beat until fluffy. Add in the egg whites, beating back.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract, mix well by hand with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, mix gently with a spoon.
- Gradually add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, do not throw it in, like taking a spoon of flour mixture and gently whisk wet ingredients over, as though you were sorting out the flour. Mix until flour invert Kaup is not fixed. Repeat with the rest of the flour, folding it into the sides and bottom friction and Bowl to include everything.
- Add green food coloring, mix to incorporate.
- For the batter among cupcake liners, filling each 1/2 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees will keep the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcake.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before adding the buttercream.
- In a bowl Beat butter and vegetable shortening with electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar, mix thoroughly by hand with a spatula.
- Add more powdered sugar as you see fit, up to 2 more cups, mixing first by hand and then with the electric mixer.
- Add the watermelon kool aid powder and a small amount of Red food coloring (for giving pink frosting), mixing the last time with the electric mixer.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Place in bag large pipe buttercream that matches ends of pipe wilton 1 m. Tapping into the buttercream. Pipe buttercream onto cupcakes, cupcake, the Center began at spiraling out and then circling back to the Center, the more pile up the frosting as you get to the Center.
- Add mini chocolate chips on top of buttercream.