This is one of them-don’t knock it until you try it-recipe. Zucchini Lasagna. It feels so big and far healthier than traditional lasagna. You’ll definitely want to add this to the list of healthy recipes!
This recipe has a lot of flavor and you won’t even lose a filling and noodles that accompanies a traditional lasagna. At least we are not. I’ve tried variations with different vegetables and have been pleased every time.
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 lb Ground Beef (grass fed or lean meat) or ground turkey
- 1 (24 oz) jar of marinara sauce – I use Rao’s or Trader Joe’s
- ½ c. fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup Green Bell Peppers, chopped
- 1 box of mushrooms, sliced (more or less to your liking)
- 1 c. lowfat mozzarella cheese (optional) – can add more to have a cheesier recipe!
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Brown ground beef or ground Turkey in a large pot over medium heat, stirring.
- Add the garlic, onion and green pepper, and continue to Saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Add ¼ c. Parmesan cheese and stir. Set aside the rest.
- Put a thin layer of sauce in the baking dish.
- A layer of zucchini and mushrooms over the sauce, then mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat, alternating layers of sauce, then zucchini and mushrooms.
- Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese on top and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Baked lasagna at 325 ° F for 15 minutes, covered with foil.
- After 15 minutes, remove foil, increase the temperature of 350 ° F and bake for an additional 15 minutes.